Saturday, February 18, 2012

"Goodbye, Sis -- I love you" Last Words from Robert Waterhouse

I will remember Valentine's Day for the rest of my life. I spent two hours with Robert Waterhouse on Valentine's - it would be our last conversation. I wanted him to know - the last 45 days of his life - that I would be there. It was an incredible journey with a man that spent the last 32 years on Florida's Death Row. Robert maintained his innocence until the end - he gave an eloquent last statement "you are about to witness the execution of an innocent and wrongly convicted man".

Robert and I developed a close friendship in those last 45 days -- to the point that the tears flowed so openly it shocked everyone including Robert. I told him in one conversation that we were "in the foxhole" and he responded, "no, a hell hole" - we laughed. He had such a way with words. Those last two hours went like in a blink of an eye - and when it was time to go - he put his hand on the glass - touching mine on the other side - and said, "Sis, I love you -- I will see you in forever -- I hope it works out for you and Oscar" it was the most genuine of last words -- we sobbed openly -- the last conversation - like my first "death watch" will NEVER be forgotten.

You are finally free, Robert Waterhouse -- into forever - your Sis - Rosalie