Sunday, January 22, 2012

My First "Death Watch" - Robert Waterhouse

You always remember your "first". Your first kiss, your first true love -- your first baby - the memories of it all. On January 4th, 2012 - Governor Scott signed the death warrant of Robert Waterhouse - the first death warrant I have been part of. My first reaction was deep sadness, then I became anxious -- then I became angry. Why in the world would the Governor sign this man's death warrant - he has spent 32 years on death row -- hardly the same man that was arrested 32 years ago.

I met Robert Waterhouse nearly 16 years ago -- his wife Fran was the first person I met when I went to death row for the first time - as the wife of Oscar Bolin. Fran was cheerful and thoughtful. She let me know what the "rules" were and how to survive in the world of the death row wives club. She has been my friend this entire experience. I immediately wanted to speak to Fran - tell her that I would be there and that I would make sure that this last process was safe for her -- and, I would call Robert's lawyer - Robert Norgard. I had worked on Robert's post conviction process for the last 7 years -- nothing much could be done because he had exhausted most of his appeals. I crawled on the floor of the basement of the Clerk's Office in Pinellas County - found that one piece of paper that explained the destruction of all the evidence in Robert's case -- I located his friend "Grisley" - willing to help anyway he could -- spoke to almost everyone that had been named in the trial-- and then the Governor signs his warrant to die. I have been working non-stop since. I have been tracking new witnesses, seeing Robert regularly and taking care of what needs to be done for the Attorneys - and making sure Fran is safe.

This part of this process is almost surreal. I just can't believe that in a civilized society that we still kill our own citizens. It just is really difficult for me to wrap my brain around this.
These past two weeks have been difficult for me. I have never endured such mixed emotions. Florida State Prison staff have been exceptional -- professional but with a hint of the human component - that actually care about what I am experiencing. The difficult role I have as a professional coupled with me being the wife of a death row inmate. It is not a role anyone else holds in the State of Florida --- so, I teeter on that fence of unknown reactions from those who are in charge -- but, so far -- it has gone without any complications - but, I remain worried, anxious, emotional.

The trial judge denied the Motion to Vacate the Death Sentence and Stay of Execution - In spite, of the evidentiary hearing and newly discovered evidence -- and the process remains on the fast track -- 24 days to execution. It makes me sick to my stomach.

If I could tell all the capital defense attorneys in this business anything; it would be that it is important to do your job well - better than the rest -- save your client's life at all costs -- document the record at all costs -- and know that at the end of the day you did everything you could - not like most of the bar -- doing it just enough -- because this is the ultimate punishment - Execution - and it does come - sooner or later -- or life on death row until you go by unnatural causes - the food, lack of exercise, no adequate health care, abandonment by family and friends, constant abuse by guards, constant abuse by others - the list goes on and on --

So, if anyone is reading this -- know that I do care about Robert Waterhouse, his wife, Fran, the process -- and his life meant something - to me.