Monday, January 6, 2014

2014 - Another year!

As I sit here listening to the stillness of this room - I can only think of what my life will mean this year (2014)  Jennifer will be married this month. Elizabeth will be graduating law school.  Christina will be promoted and Katherine will be excelling at anything she touches.  I am blessed.  My mother, who is in her 80's (she does not want to tell anyone how old she is) is doing great and my three grandchildren are blessings beyond anything I thought possible.

But, every time I walk up those steps of Florida State Prison (now I take the ramp, because I do not want to fall down again) I have this ache in my heart.  All those lives so broken -- but, why me? Why not?  How do I reconcile the pain - how do I make the process better?  I work 16 hour days -- go to the most unsavory places - to find that one thing that makes that person  -- human.  Humanity - who has it -- who doesn't.  Who deserves Mercy?  I wish I could wave a magic wand and make all the pain go away - for everyone.  I can only do it - one case at a time - give it my best - and keep moving forward.  2014 will be one year closer.