Thursday, August 11, 2011

Casey Anthony - Acquitted

I was on the Defense Team of Casey Anthony and that was an experience of a lifetime. I was totally enlightened by the different personalities - lawyers - on the defense team. I think it would be best described as "colorful". I believe each attorney brought a different dynamic - to the defense of Casey Anthony. I truly believe she received a defense that every defendant should have facing the death penalty. The media afforded her that defense. It was labeled the trial of the century - so, everyone was going to do their best because everyone was watching. You would not believe the hours that went into that case.

I did not receive one single cent for my time or expenses on this case. I did it pro bono because Ann Finnell asked me to assist her. I felt privileged to work with her. Ann Finnell is a rare breed of lawyer. She actually cares. Ann is probably the brightest lawyer I have ever worked with. She has this incredibly ease about her - confidence. Ann is not a pretender and if she does not like something - she definitely will tell you - no holding back.

I have known Cheney Mason a long time and worked with him on the Nelson Serrano case. Cheney is a legend and is well respected among lawyers all over the State and the country. He told me he got involved because of the way the media was treating Jose Baez. It was principal for him.

I met Dorothy Clay Simms because of this trial. She is bright. I believe she is passionate. This was her first capital trial. What a first trial, right?

Jose Baez - well, if it tell you anything - my 3 year old grandson wanted a "smart suit" like Jose Baez. We laugh about it all the time - Jose is a "street lawyer" - confident -- not as experienced as Ann Finnell and Cheney Mason -- but he gave it his best - no doubt about it. He will be gaining the credit for that trial - the trial of the century.

Hopefully, Jose is grateful for all the people that helped him - all his staff, people behind the scenes that helped at no cost to him or the State of Florida. The lawyers that did not have to join the team - without one cent of compensation for their time or expenses.

I hope to write a book about the Jury Selection in the case of Casey Anthony -- we picked individuals who were independent and intelligent. There is something to be said about picking the jury for the trial of the century. This jury are heroes. Those 12 people preserved the Constitution - you may not like it because of the case but they did their job -- and that ensures that our system works and that "reasonable doubt" is still the law of the land. Proof, evidence -- have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt - I wanted to hug them - I actually cried.

When I walked out of the courthouse that day - the feeling of "what is wrong with these people" -- where are those people when someone is convicted from something they didn't do -and they spend 20 years on death row - there is no media there -no people cheering them on - nothing - there is really something wrong with our society. Who are these hateful people?

I would hope that Casey would keep in touch with me - I doubt it though -I am sure her handlers will monitor everything she is doing and making money for her is probably a priority.

I wish her luck. I hope she turns her negative into a positive. Cutting her hair and donating it to Children's charities - Lots of Locks - donating her money to children's causes -- she needs to turn it around - do the right thing. Casey can do it -- she is beautiful, charming and really smart - she make a good life for herself - just hopefully she doesn't get wrong advise.

Casey Anthony was ACQUITTED. Everyone needs to get over it if they don't' agree with the verdict. That is life. We all don't agree. But, one thing for sure - none of us were there -- and let someone else judge it. Guess what, God was in control of the whole thing anyway -- so, complain to him -- get over it. Move on - wish her well -- pray for her -- that is what we all should be doing.

Good Luck Casey -- Rosalie